Call for Proposals Opens April 2020
Society for Pediatric Anesthesia Young Investigator Research Grants
The Society for Pediatric Anesthesia is pleased to announce the availability of Young Investigator Research Grants, through the Patient Safety, Education and Research Fund (PSERF). The Young Investigator Grants will be for one year, renewable once at the discretion of the Research Grant Committee.
Upon review of the all of the submitted proposals, the Committee may distribute one or more grants to total up to $100,000. The Committee may also choose to reduce the awarded amount or not fund any of the submitted projects for a given calendar year.
Investigators are encouraged to submit grants investigating basic science or clinical research questions, innovations in education, or quality and safety projects, including simulation.
Criteria for Application
- The individual must be an MD or DO practicing pediatric anesthesia, with a current medical license.
- The individual must be a SPA member within the preceding dues cycle.
- The individual must have completed primary pediatric anesthesia training within the previous ten years, or must currently be enrolled in a pediatric anesthesia fellowship.
- Resident Status:
- US or Canadian citizens
- Permanent residents (green card holder)
- Working in an academic institution on an H1-B visa with at least 3 years of validity on the visa at the time of the application
- Certification in Anesthesiology
- Candidate must be ABA board-certified, Canadian FRCPC-certified, or a current candidate in the ABA or Canadian FRCPC Examination system.
- Physicians who are neither certified nor eligible to be a candidate in the ABA or Canadian FRCPC Examination system for primary certification (either through the regular pathway or the Alternate Entry Pathway) will be eligible to apply for funding if he/she has an active, non-time-restricted license to practice in one of the United States or Canada AND he/she is practicing pediatric anesthesiology (for at least 40% FTE) in an academic medical center or closely affiliated institution.
- TWO PAGE description of the proposed project
- Importance of this project for pediatric anesthesiology
- Background information
- Previous data, if any
- Methods, including sample size analysis
- Planned data analysis
- Letter of support from Chair of Department
- Letter of support from research mentor
- CV from Mentor
- Names and CVs from project collaborators
- DEADLINE: July 1, 2020
Initial proposals will be reviewed by the Grant Review Committee, with a decision one month after submission deadline; successful applicants will be invited to submit a more complete and thorough description of the project, with budget, timelines, plans for analysis, and future development.
The initial proposal, with all supporting documents, should be collated into one PDF document with the investigator’s last name as the title, and sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DEADLINE for FULL PROPOSAL, if invited to submit: October 1, 2020
Full proposals will be reviewed by the Committee, and results announced no later than December 4, 2020, for funding to be distributed in early January 2021.
Presentation of Research Results
Individuals whose work is funded for 2021 are expected to present their work at the Winter Meeting in 2022.